Friday 20 March 2015

Rainy days on the Costa del Sol.

What to do?

Small sketches from memory in the dry, warm of a nice bar. These towns are not built for rainy days.

I like the alternative reality of deserted seaside resorts on rainy days. I know it spoils many peoples holidays, but I like the other perspective that rainy days reveal. An occassional umbrella - maybe a dog and owner on a beach. The plastic and neon are somehow isolated from reality without the sunshine and the people. It is as real as any other thing in contemporary Spain. However, the starkness of a modern, totally fabricated by man environment becomes exposed. Stripped naked for all to see for what it really is. I like the meloncholic moments of sitting in a shelter, drinking a beer, smoking a cigarette and watching nothing other than lighting streaks out at sea and rain fairies in front of your feet.

Looks like we have days of it to come. Hope it doesn't spoil too many holidays. I quite like it.


No comments: